Advantages of Registering a Trademark
A trademark registration indicates in a public register that a name, a slogan, a logo etc. is protected, since when the protection is effective and who can claim the trademark. In practice, the following advantages arise:
- Competitors cannot establish any rights from the use of the same name, the same slogan or the same logo after the application date of the trademark, if the trademark is registered by the Office and has been put to genuine use by the proprietor.
- After the registration of a trademark, competitors must not use a name, slogan or logo that is identical to the registered trademark or can be confused with the registered trademark.
- Additionally, a registered trademark defines who is entitled to use the trademark, which is helpful not only in conflicts with competitors, but also with (future or former) business partners.
- A registered trademark can also secure the rights for a domain.
- The appropriate application of trademark rights can ensure that an elaborately created name will not become a generic term which is free for use by everybody.